Sunday, 4 December 2011

Moon etching

A moon etching I just finished, from a sketch using a few moon map references. . I want to tidy up the aquatint bit more with a needle though, especially as the damn thing looks like it has been sat on due to the thicker baseline.

It was fun getting the reference pic for this, you have to draw the original in reverse so I made an awesome moon map photocopy with magical-looking reverse labelling.

Most of the moon landmarks use the term 'sea' for the dips, and 'mount' for the rocky projecting bits. So you get beautiful names like the Sea of Tranquility and the Mount of Venus. (Historically there tends to be a lot of wrangling about celestial names amongst the scientific community- Mars is a super example and I mean to write about it sometime...)

Anyway enough of my babbling.





Soft ground (carved in soft ground, and some painted-on soft ground, watercolour paper, aquatint)

Write and read comments: