Monday, 23 January 2012

Ice Horse

New art! This is a line etching I did on copper, this is the first print with the aquatint.

To make a copper print, you first frantically sand the edges and irritate the rest of the room, next, you polish the surface, which again is unbelievably tedious and takes ages.

Next ya melt a load of waxy resin on the heated plate, and draw your picture with a sharp object. The whole lot gets plunked into an acid bath for a while til the line bites, upon which you can haul it out and get rid of the wax.



Then you print it! And if it looks horrid you weep/swear and then go off for biscuits and try to fix it. Orelse the lines work as they did in this one, and you can do the aquatint, which involves biting in texture by using scattered resin granules. If you are a good little etcher and not like me, you will use etching paper (Somerset velvet for example) but I prefer the line effect on watercolour paper at the moment. Then you scan it while playing truly awful music*. DON'T JUDGE ME!

The actual thing is a bit smaller, and fits in the palm of my hand. White paper surround tidied up on PS, for those who care about such things.

I was thinking about Russian animations when I did this one, and fairytales in general.



* "I Will Do Anything For Love, But I Won't Do **That."
** Yes, I am ashamed, but powerless to resist the mighty power of naffness.

Write and read comments: